If using a regular seal, the stoma output can spill and overflow onto the skin causing damage and irritation. However, because the Ostoform Seal has a non-absorbent spout this ensures that the output flows away from the skin and into the pouch.
We recommend you begin by holding the spout and positioning the Seal accurately underneath your stoma. You can then mold, wrap and overlap the arms of the Seal around your stoma to ensure a snug and secure fit.
Yes. Due to the non-absorbent spout protecting the absorbent seal, the Ostoform Seal should last longer than regular seals. In a recent study, 71% of participants stated that the Ostoform Seal lasted longer than their current seal.
1. Cut your pouch opening size 5mm (one-quarter inch) larger than your stoma diameter.
2. Dry the skin around your stoma.
3. Hold the Seal by the spout and position accurately underneath your stoma.
4. Mold, wrap, and overlap the arms of the seal around your stoma to ensure a snug fit.
5. Once you have secured the Ostoform Seal around your stoma, insert the spout into the pouch opening. Then, pull the pouch up so that it sits underneath the spout, and press evenly around the pouch to achieve good adhesion to skin and Seal.
The Ostoform Seal is designed to minimise the risk of material breakdown by introducing a non-absorbent layer that directs the flow of stoma output away from your skin and into your pouch. This prevents it from being absorbed in towards your skin, as with standard ostomy seals.